Essential oils that assist in the treatment of hayfever have expectorant, anti inflammatory, astringent, antimicrobial and immunostimulant properties. Good essential oils to use are Eucalyptus, Lavender, Ravensara, Myrtle, Peppermint and German Chamomile.
I first made this massage blend for my husband 10 years ago, it has worked brilliantly. It reduces his symptoms dramatically so he doesn’t need to take anti-histamines.
The blend will feel cool on application which can be lovely when the weather is hot. It can be applied after a shower or bath just like a body lotion.
- 30ml of sweet Almond oil 2.5% blend
- 15 drops of essential oil in total
- Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) – 8 drops
- Peppermint (Mentha Piperita)* – 4 drops – (This is also a great oil to use as an insect repellent as most insects do not like it.)
- German Chamomile (Matricara Recutica)* – 3 drops
- *Peppermint – Do not use in cases of Cardiac fibrillation as it may not be compatible with some medication. Do not use in concentrations above 3% as it can irritate mucous membranes. Avoid with babies and infants. May antidote homeopathic medicine.
- German Chamomile – avoid use if there is a ragweed allergy.